Monday, April 18, 2011

Trip - Take 2

Our second day was totally jammed full with sightseeing and Dan was our "tour guide". Jess was in such great pain that day she wasn't able to go with us, which was a big bummer, but she was able to join us that afternoon and picked us up (for which my feet and legs were very thankful).
We started the morning off with a Amtrack train ride (my first) from Quantico t0 Union Station (which I'm disappointed that I didn't take any pictures of the station) it was a beautiful building. Then we started to walk and walk and walk...

First to the Capital building...


Then we went to the Smithsonian of Natural History...



then the FBI building... then the Smithsonian of American History...


I thought all you ladies out there would appreciate these pictures of Julia Child's kitchen. Sorry the pictures aren't real great with the glass and flash ; { It was tough being with two guys who were rolling their eyes at me with wanting to take pictures of this and seeing the First Ladies exhibit. OH WELL... I still had a great time with it. How would you like to do you laundry like this?


1. Soak over night


2. Scrub


3. Boil white linens and cottens


4. Rinse


5. Rinse again with bluing powder


6. Dip in starch and hang dryNot me!!!


Here I'm trying out my wringing power, I did it 15 times and gave up for the line behind me. then on to the Washington Monument... Vietnam Wall... the Koran War memorial, the forgotten war... This monument left me speechless. I just read a book about the Korean war and it really sobered me. With the greater than lifesize men ready for anything to happen."OUR NATION HONORS OUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO ANSWERED THE CALL TO DEFEND A COUNTRY THEY NEVER KNEW AND A PEOPLE THEY NEVER MET"


1950 ~ KOREA~ 1953


I was trying to show how the wall was engraved with these pictures, but it really didn't come out very well... You can see Lucas and Dan in the shadow.



then the Lincoln Memorial...



A view from the Lincoln... the Reflecting Pool, empty? What's up with that?


then the Marine Corps Memorial to finish the day...


















Jess was able to join us at this point and we took a moment for a photo op.


More to come...

3 comments:

Stef said...

I LOVED looking through all of these! You caught some great shots, Cola! Also, great fun seeing Julia's kitchen. I actually was surprised at how small the layout is. Nowadays the popular chefs have such HUGE kitchens. I personally like cooking in a smaller one, but I've always wondered what chefs (back in the day) had.

Sunshine Pool & Spa said...

How fun!! Caleb and I are planning a trip to New York City and DC this Decemeber....I can't wait to go to the Smithsonian Museum. So glad you were able to see Dan and Jess, and your mom!! :) You guys look like you had a great time! Thanks for posting pictures! <3

P.S this is Clattie...Just relized I am still on Sunshine's Blog :)

Erin said...

Great trip you guys! I've never been to the east coast. I'd love to see DC some day.
I like the pic of you & Jess. <3
Thanks for the Julia kitchen photos. Love her. Now I'd better watch the movie soon. :)